EPP Faculty :: Jay F. Whitacre
Jay F. WhitacreDepartment of Materials Science and Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Wean Hall 4323
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Phone: (412) 268-5548
Associate Professor, Engineering and Public Policy / Materials Science and Engineering
Materials for energy technologies, power system design and implementation, energy storage and generation (emphasis on Li-ion batteries, fuel cells, and solar power)
- Ph.D. (Materials Science) 1999, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.S.E. (Materials Science) 1997, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A. With Honors (Physics) 1994, Oberlin College
- Carnegie Mellon, 2007 - Assistant Professor
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 2000-2007, Senior Member Technical Staff
- California Institute of Technology, 1999-2000, Postdoctoral Scholar (at JPL)
Professor Whitacre examines the materials science of synthesizing, characterizing, and implementing promising materials and device architectures for energy storage and generation technologies such as Li-ion batteries, fuel cells, and photovoltaics. He will concurrently be addressing the policy implications involved with selecting and implementing these renewable technologies. Other research topics include hybrid power systems for distributed and mobile platforms, high throughput materials selection methods, and ultra fast laser modification of materials for solid-state electrochemical devices. Dr. Whitacre holds 5 patents (granted or pending), has authored or co-authored over 20 peer-review journal articles, and has received several awards in his career that include: the MRS Graduate Research Award, fall 1998 (silver medal); 1999 University of Michigan Departmental Graduate Student Research Award, 1999 American Vacuum Society Graduate Research Award (Thin Films Division), the 2001 Norman Hackerman Young Author Award (Electrochemical Society), and multiple JPL and NASA Space Act R&D Awards from 2002 to 2006. For more information, visit the Whitacre Research Group website.
- J. F. Whitacre, T. Wiley, S. Shanbhag, et. al, "An aqueous electrolyte, sodium ion functional, large format energy storage device for stationary applications", Journal of Power Sources 213 255-264, 2012.
- E. Hittinger, J. F. Whitacre, J. Apt, "What properties of grid energy storage are most valuable?", Journal of Power Sources 206 436-449, 2012.
- S.-E. Chun, J. F. Whitacre, "The evoloution of electrochemical functionality of carbons derived from glucose during pyrolysis and activation", Electrochemica Acta 60 392-400, 2012.
- K. C. Hess, J. F. Whitacre, S. Litster, "In Situ Measurements of Potential, Current and Charging Current across an EDL Capacitance Anode for an Aqueous Sodium Hybrid Battery", Journal of the Electrochemical Society 159(8) A1351-A1359, 2012.
- J. Apt, S. B. Peterson, Whitacre, J. F., "Battery Vehicles Reduce CO2 Emissions", Science 333(6044) 823-823, 2011.
- S. B. Peterson, J. F. Whitacre, J. Apt, "Net Air Emissions from Electric Vehicles: The Effect of Carbon Price and Charging Strategies", Environmental Science and Technology, 45(5) 1792-1797, 2011.
- S. B. Peterson, J. F. Whitacre, J. Apt, "The economics of using plug-in hybrid electric vehicle battery packs for grid storage", Journal of Power Sources, 195(8) 2377-2384, 2010.
- S. B. Peterson, J. Apt, J. F. Whitacre, "Lithium-ion battery cell degredation resulting from realistic vehicle and vehicle-to-grid utilization", Journal of Power Sources, 195(8) 2385-2392, 2010.
- W.C. West, J. F. Whitacre, N. Leifer, S. Greenbaum, M.C. Smart, R.V. Bugga, M. Blanco, S. R. Narayanan, "Reversible Intercalation of Fluoride-Anion Receptor Complexes in Graphite", Journal of The Electrochemical Society 154(10) A929-A936, 2007.
- S. R. Narayanan, Thomas Valdez, J.F. Whitacre, S.Surampudi, "Direct Methanol Fuel Cells: Progress, Problems and prospects", JPL/NASA External report, From collection .JPL TRS 1992+.. URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2014/38331, 2006.
- Marshall Smart, Jay Whitacre and Ratnakumar Bugga, Khalil Amine, "Electrochemical Performance and Kinetics of Li1+x (Co1/3Ni1/3Mn1/3) 1-xO2 Electrodes in Low Temperature Electrolytes", Journal of Power Sources, 168(2) 501-508, 2007.
- M.C. Smart, B.V Ratnakumar, Jay F. Whitacre, L.D. Whitcanack, K.B. Chin, M.D. Rodreguez, D. Zhao, S.G. Greenbaum, S. Surampudi, "Effect of Electrolyte Type upon the High-Temperature Resilience of Lithium-Ion Cells", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 152(6) A1096 .A 1104, 2005.
- J.R. Lim, J.F. Whitacre, J.F. Pleurial, C.K. Huang, M.A. Ryan, N.V. Myung, "Fabrication Method for Thermoelectric Nanodevices", Advanced Materials Communications 17 1488-1492, 2005.
- F. M. Alamgir, E. Strauss, M. den Boer, S. Greenbaum, J. F. Whitacre, C.-C. Kao, and S. Neih, "LiCoO2 Batteries, Structural Changes and Charge Compensation", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 152(5), A845-A849, 2005.
- Jay F. Whitacre, T. Valdez, and S. R. Narayanan, "Investigation of Direct Methanol Fuel Cell Electrocatalysts Using a Robust Combinatorial Technique", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 152(9), A1780-A1789, 2005.
- W.C. West J.F. Whitacre, "Long cycle life elevated temperature thin-film batteries incorporating MoO3 cathodes", Journal of the Electrochemical Society 152 (5) A966-A969, 2005.
- W. C. West, N. V. Myung, J. F. Whitacre and B. V. Ratnakumar, "Electrodeposited amorphous manganese oxide nanowire arrays for high energy and power density electrodes", Journal of Power Sources 126 (1-2), 203-206, 2004.
- Jay Whitacre, Jean-Pierre Fleurial, Mohammad Mojarradi, Travis Johnson, Nosang Myung, Amy Ryan, Simon Neigh, "An Integrated Power Generation and Storage System: The .Power Tile", Proc. Of the Electrochemical Society, Fall 2002, Micro power source symposium, Volume 2002-25, pages 203-214, 2002.
- J.F. Whitacre, W.C. West, E. Brandon, B.V. Ratnakumar, "Crystallographically Oriented Thin-Film Nanocrystalline Cathode Layers Prepared Without Exceeding 300.C", Journal of the Electrochemistry Society, 148(10) A1078-A1084, 2001.