EPP Faculty :: Erica R.H. Fuchs
Erica R.H. FuchsDepartment of Engineering and Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Baker Hall 131E
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Phone: (412) 268-1877
Associate Professor, Engineering and Public Policy
Globalization; international technology and operations management, innovation and industrial policy.
- Ph.D. (Engineering Systems), 2006, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- S.M. (Technology Policy), 2003, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- S.B. (Materials Science and Engineering), 1999, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Carnegie Mellon, 2007-
Erica R.H. Fuchs is an Associate Professor in the Department of Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University. Her research focuses on the role of government in technology development and the effect of location on the competitiveness of new technologies. Dr. Fuchs is one of 40-50 individuals globally chosen in 2012 to be a InterAcademies Panel Young Scientist. In addition, in 2011 she received an NSF CAREER award for her research rethinking national innovation systems, and in 2008 she received the Oak Ridge Associated Universities Junior Faculty Enhancement Fellowship for her research on the impact of offshoring on technology directions. Over the past three years, she has been playing a growing role in national meetings on the future of U.S. advanced manufacturing, including advising the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology during a one-day workshop and welcoming and briefing President Obama during his 2011 visit to Carnegie Mellon to announce the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership. She also currently serves on the National Research Council committee on future trends and challenges in optical science. Before coming to CMU, Dr. Fuchs completed her Ph.D. in Engineering Systems at M.I.T. in June 2006. She received her Masters and her Bachelors degrees also from M.I.T. in Technology Policy (2003) and Materials Science and Engineering (1999), respectively. PrDr. Fuchs spent 1999-2000 as a fellow at the United Nations in Beijing, China. There, she conducted research at state-owned industrial boiler manufacturers on policies to encourage innovation. Her work has been published among other places in Journal of Lightwave Technology, Composite Science and Technology, Issues in Science and Technology, Research Policy, Organization Science, and Management Science. Dr. Fuchs has been an invited speaker at a wide range of venues including the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Woolley, A. and Fuchs, E., "Collective Intelligence in the Organization of Science", Invited Paper. Special Issue on New Directions in Organization Science. Organization Science, 22(5): 1359-1367, , 2011.
- Fuchs, E.,Kirchain, R., and Liu, S., "The Future of Silicon Photonics – Not So Fast?: The Case of 100G Ethernet LAN Transceivers", Journal of Lightwave Technology", 29(15): 2319-2326, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., Field, F., Roth, R., and Kirchain, R., "Plastic Cars in China? The Signifiance of Production Location over Markets for Technology Competitiveness", International Journal of Production Economics, 132(2011): 79-92., 2011.
- Fuchs, E., and Kirchain, R., "Design for Location?: The Impact of Manufacturing Off-Shore on Technology Competitiveness in the Optoelectronics Industry", Management Science, 56(12): 2323-2349, 2010.
- Fuchs, E., "Rethinking the Role of the State in Technology Development: DARPA and the Case for Embedded Network Governance", , Lead article, Research Policy, 39(2010): 1133-1147, 2010.
- Fuchs, E. , "Cloning DARPA Successfully", Issues in Science and Technology, Volume XXVI. Number 1. Fall 2009, 2009.
- Fuchs, E., Field, F., Roth, R., and Kirchain, R, "Strategic Materials Selection in the Automotive Body: Economic Opportunities for Polymer Composite Design", Composite Science and Technology, 68(9): 1989-2002, 2008.
- Fuchs, E., Bruce, E., Ram, R., and Kirchain, R, "Process-Based Cost Modeling of Photonics Manufacture: The Cost-Competitiveness of Monolithic Integration of a 1550nm DFB Laser and an Electro-Absorptive Modulator on an InP Platform", Journal of Lightwave Technology, 24(8): 3175-3186, 2006.
- Veloso, Francisco and Fuchs, E., "The Future of the Asian Auto Industry: Regional Integration, Alternative Designs, and Chinese Leadership", International Journal of Vehicle Designm, 35(1): 111-136, 2002.
- Fuchs, E.and Johnsson, P, "Inclusion Characteristics in Bearing Steel and During Ingot Casting", High Temperature Materials and Processes, 19(5): 333-344, 2000.
- (Committee Member.), "Harnessing Light: Capitalizing on Optical Science Trends and Challenges for Future Research", Board of Manufacturing and Engineering Design, National Materials Advisory Board, National Academy of Sciences. In press(2012).
- Argote, L. Dennome, C. and Fuchs, E., "Organization Learning across Boundaries: The Effect of Geographic Distribution on Organizational Learning and Knowledge Transfer", Handbook on Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., "DARPA Does Moore’s Law: The Case of DARPA and Optoelectronic Interconnects", Invited chapter in State of Innovation: The U.S. Government’s Role in Technology Development, Ed. by Fred Block and William Keller. Paradigm Publishers, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., "Remembering Comparative Advantage: Leveraging National Differences in Technology Competitiveness. Invited Contribution. Report by CMU and the Atlantic Council to the G-20 Leaders", Forthcoming as a chapter in a book by the same name with C.M.U. Press, 2009.
- Yang, C., Nugent, R, and Fuchs, E., "Gains from Other's Losses: Technology Trajectories and the Global Division of Firms", Under Review., 2012.
- Fuchs, E., "On the relationship between manufacturing and innovation: Why not all technologies are created equal", 2012.
- Ventura, S., Nugent, R., and Fuchs, E. , "Methods Matter: Revamping Inventor Disambiguation Algorithms with Classification Models and Labeled Inventor Records", 2012.
- Fuchs, E.,"Platform Leaders, True Believers and Coordinated Innovation: The Role of Key Architects in Influencing Technology Trajectories for Moore's Law", 2012.
- Akinsanmi, W., Reagans, R., and Fuchs, E., "Economic Downturns, Technology Trajectories, and the Careers of Scientists", 2012.